The Science of Success
LiveEvent – Save the Date
By: Angela Duckworth
Duration: 1 Hour Live Event
(30 minute discussion afterwards)
Date: Thursday, November 16th at 11:00 a.m. CST
Location: South Campus – Edu. Admin Bldg. Room G1
To Enroll, log into myHR, click on the Training & Performance tile, click on myLearn in the left hand navigation menu, login. Under Upcoming Events in the left hand menu, click on Instructor Led Training. On the next page, select UMSL Live Event – True Grit and click Enroll.
Who succeeds in life?
In this talk, Angela Duckworth presents her influential work on grit—the tendency to pursue long-term goals with perseverance and passion. She describes the predictive power of grit for performance in a variety of fascinating contexts.
Drawing on her own powerful story as the daughter of a scientist who frequently noted her lack of “genius,” Duckworth, now a celebrated researcher and professor, describes her early eye-opening stints in teaching, business consulting, and neuroscience, which led to the hypothesis that what really drives success is not “genius” but a unique combination of passion and long-term perseverance. Continue reading
Consenting to receive your W-2 through myHR has many benefits:
- Early access to the form anywhere at any convenient time (much earlier than the traditional mail process), which can mean early filing which means early refunds
- Access to the form requires your unique SSO and password – as well as your SSN once you get to the page, ensuring a secure process
- No paper copy will be mailed from Central Payroll in Columbia, MO to your home address, which eliminates the chance that your paper Form W-2 will get lost, misdirected or delayed during delivery or after receipt
- Compensation and tax withholding information may easily be downloaded into many tax preparation software programs
- This option only needs to be made once and will carry over to future years, unless you manually withdraw consent
- Green and Convenient – access to this form will be available for several years – reprint as many times as you need
To receive your W-2 electronically through myHR, please consent by December 31st to ensure your W-2 will be available to print in early January. To do so, simply log into myHR, click on the Payroll tile, then click on W-2/W-2c Consent on the left-hand navigation menu, then follow the instructions on your screen.
If you have any questions, please contact the payroll office at (314) 516-5238.
Under the UMSL Employee Volunteer Program, eligible UMSL staff employees receive up to eight hours of non-accruing paid time per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) to volunteer for qualifying volunteer organizations in the Greater St. Louis area.
This time may be taken in two-hour, half day or whole day increments at the discretion of the employee during regular working hours, subject to pre-approval by the employee’s supervisor and the volunteer organization to which the time is being donated. Volunteer hours should be tracked utilizing the Time & Labor system. For a listing of current volunteer opportunities in the area, click here. Please submit your request to Audra Bickline.
Remember, if you are an active employee and do not submit a medical insurance choice in myHR during Annual Enrollment, you will default to the after-tax Healthy Savings Plan at the non-discounted rate for 2018.* To avoid defaulting, you must submit your choice in myHR, even if you want to keep the same medical insurance plan or waive coverage altogether. However, retirees will default to their current medical coverage. Continue reading
The UMSL Recreation and Wellness Center’s (RWC) Healthy Weight Management program requires two(2) one-on-one fitness assessments with a RWC certified personal trainer – one at the beginning and one at the end of the program. After the initial meeting, participants will receive an individualized workout program to follow until their second fitness assessment in December. For more information on how to register, please visit the Healthy Weight Management program page, or contact the campus Recreation and Wellness Center at (314) 516-2348 or email@example.com.
Feed your mind, body and spirt in this 45 minute lunch time class. The focus of this class is to calm the mind and stretch and strengthen the body while brining balance and relaxation to your life. Available for faculty and staff only.
Where: Recreation and Wellness Center Studio 4
Session 2: Oct. 23rd – December 8th Monday or Wednesday 11:45a.m.-12:30p.m
Cost: Members $18 per session, Nonmembers $30 per session
Registration is required. Email Secily Adams firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the RWC front desk.
Have the latest UMSL HR Update content delivered right to your inbox!
Receive up-to-the-minute Human Resource news you can use! Don’t wait for the next HR Update newsletter to find out the latest information. Simply go to our FeedBurner subscription link to fill in your email address, as well as the displayed text, in the appropriate fields. You will then receive a verification email; just click on the link to become a subscriber. It’s that easy! Whenever a new entry is posted, you will receive an email notification with a link to the latest information on our blog. Become a member of the HR Update community today!
Choose the plans that best fit your needs
This is the yearly opportunity for you to review the many insurance options available to University faculty and staff, and determine which of them fit your lifestyle and needs. From October 16 – 27, 2017, you can make changes to your insurance elections for the 2018 plan year.
Tools to choose insurance that’s right for you
The University prepares a number of decision tools to help you navigate the enrollment process and your insurance options, including:
- Digital guide – The 2018 Insurance Benefits Guide is available now for digital access. Guides will not be mailed to your home address this year.
- One-stop webpage – Visit the Annual Enrollment webpage to find the digital enrollment guide and an abundance of other informational resources. Check back frequently for the latest information, with updates regularly between now and the enrollment period.
- One-on-one sessions and other informational meetings – From late September through October, you will be able to attend one-on-ones and informational meetings to discuss insurance options. Visit the Annual Enrollment webpage for instructions on signing up.
Protect yourself, your family, your students and your community. Get a flu shot and be prepared for this flu season! Visit the UM Flu Shot and Health Screenings page for more information. Continue reading