Congratulations to our poetry winners!

Here are the results of the UMSL MFA Graduate Prize in Poetry.

First Place goes to Matthew Freeman for “The Procovery Sequence.” Here is the judge’s blurb:

I love how the poet re-mixes ancient myths in these poems (“Finally a Consistent Poetics,” for example, or “Condition Center”) and makes them relevant. I also admire how the poet can fit a perfect iambic line right against a line broken with slang diction (“Condition Center,” again). I’m impressed by the rhythm in these poems, and I found “Speaking Old and Young” particularly moving in that regard. I’m also impressed by the variety of forms and kinds of rhyme. Above all, I was taken by the disarming honesty in these poems, and how they confront raw subjects with great awareness and even humor. Great stuff!

Runner-Up goes to Kasey Perkins for “Those Who Breathe Once, and Never Stop.” Here is the judge’s a blurb:

I admire these poems very much, and I felt transported by the imagery. In the true spirit of elegy (most of these poems feel elegiac to me), I felt that each profound loss was answered by the consolations of beauty, and a keen sense of place and identity. Great sensory details and a wide-scoping imagination at work here!