The editors invite submissions of poetry, fiction, personal essays, and translations year-round. Because we are tied to the academic calendar, we will not read between May 1 and August 1. If you submit between May 1 and August 1 you will not hear back from us for several months. We normally take 4-8 months to respond.
We now accept submissions online through Submittable!
There is a $3.00 charge for non-subscribers to submit online. This is not a reading fee, but helps maintain the submission service and website. This fee is waived for current subscribers. Save this fee by subscribing now. If you are unsure about your subscription status, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Subscription Status” and include your full name and mailing address in the body of the email.
We will continue to accept submissions free of charge through snail mail. See #10 below.
We will no longer accept submissions via email. Submissions sent by email will not be read.
Please read the following General Guidelines before submitting:
1. We do not accept previously published work. This includes self-publication and work that appears online.
2. Poetry submissions should be limited to one manuscript of up to six poems at one time. Poems should include the author’s contact information on every page, be clearly titled, and be paginated if longer than one page.
3. Prose submissions should be limited to one story or essay at a time. Subsequent pages should be numbered and include the author’s name.
4. Please submit to only one genre at a time.
5. Your cover letter should include your name, address, phone number, and email. Indicate in which genre your submission belongs and the title(s) of your work. Bios are not necessary but welcomed.
6. We allow simultaneous submissions, but please notify us immediately via email (email@example.com) in the event of an acceptance elsewhere.
7. Current University of Missouri-St. Louis students, faculty, and staff may not submit to Natural Bridge.
8. As with most literary journals, it is recommended that you view a copy of Natural Bridge before submitting. Please visit our website for subscriptions, or order through submishmash below.
9. Upon publication, the author will receive two copies of the issue with his or her work and a one year subscription as payment.
10. If submitting via mail:
Enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) with sufficient postage, and indicate if you would like your manuscript returned. Be mindful of the changing stamp prices, and allow up to six months for a response.
Please do not staple your manuscript.
We assume no responsibility for delayed, lost, or damaged manuscripts.
Address snail mail submissions and correspondence to:
Department of English
University of Missouri-St. Louis
One University Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63121