Fun, food, sports highlight UMSL’s 2012 Homecoming
Bands in the quad, movies on the lawn, a shopping cart parade, tailgating, men’s and women’s soccer, a king and queen, dinner and dancing at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel in St. Louis.
Yes, it’s Homecoming Week at the University of Missouri–St. Louis, the annual tradition that welcomes back alumni and celebrates the university’s spirit with current students. The week usually involves lots of fun, food and sports. This year’s theme is “Here and Now.” All events take place on UMSL’s North and South campuses unless otherwise noted.
New this year is the “Where’s Louie” homecoming seek-and-find game that yields a fabulous prize each day. Watch for a students-only email at a different time each morning for a clue on where to find Louie’s photograph. The first person to deliver the photo to the Office of Student Life at the Millennium Student Center wins a prize. Monday’s reward was opening-night tickets to the Broadway hit show “Wicked” at the Fabulous Fox Theatre in St. Louis.
Other highlights of the week include:
• Voting for the homecoming king and queen, which continues online. Open to all currently registered UMSL students’, this year’s contestants include Brianne Butler, Fredrecka McGlown, Kristin Meinershagen and Kelsey Sloan for queen; and Chris Davis, Kevin Lee, Michael Mannino and Justin Smith for king.
• The quirky Shopping Cart Parade will begin at noon on Oct. 3 in the MSC Nosh and patio. Student organizations and departments will decorate a shopping cart to match the theme and parade around the MSC. Winners get to brag about their cart until next year.
• The Big Man on Campus male talent pageant sponsored by the Panhellenic Council often generates a big crowd and a lot of laughs. It will be held at 7 p.m. Oct. 3 in the MSC Century Rooms.
• The Greeks (students in sororities and fraternities) will battle the Romans (students not affiliated with sororities and fraternities) in a volleyball tournament on the Oak Hall volleyball court from 3 to 5 p.m. Oct. 4. The homecoming chili supper will be served immediately following the games in Oak Hall.
• Gearing up for Friday’s soccer games begins with the Homecoming Tailgate from 3:30 to 5 p.m. Oct. 5 in Parking Lot M behind the Mark Twain Athletic and Fitness Center. The UMSL Tritons women will play Lewis University (Romeoville, Ill.) at 5 p.m. The men’s game will begin at 7:30 p.m.
• Homecoming week will culminate in the Homecoming Dinner and Dance beginning at 7 p.m. Oct. 6. at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel, The Homecoming Court is presented and the king and queen will be announced at this formal event.
Short URL: https://blogs.umsl.edu/news/?p=29996