Innovators, leaders, champions, the strong, entrepreneurs, performers choose UMSL
As you’ve traversed St. Louis this month, it’s a good bet you’ve seen a University of Missouri–St. Louis billboard like those pictured above. That’s because about one million people daily will see one of 14 billboards that make up the latest round of the well-received “I Chose UMSL” campaign.
“Research has shown people identify with the message ‘I Chose UMSL,’” said UMSL Chief Marketing Officer Ron Gossen. “It’s proven to be an effective campaign that’s increased brand awareness for UMSL and showcased the quality, credibility and accomplishments of the university and its people. Given the success of the campaign’s past iterations – something the UMSL community can be proud of – we’re maintaining that messaging along major St. Louis interstates.”
The “I Chose UMSL” campaign began in 2012, and has featured UMSL students, alumni and faculty. The current iteration continues that tradition with a slight shift in focus.
“This round skews younger,” Gossen said. “We’ve also paired up billboards to fit six themes. So wherever you see one billboard, another with that same theme will immediately follow.”
Those themes include: The Strong, Innovators, Entrepreneurs, Leaders, Performers and Champions.
And here’s who you’ll find on those billboards:
- Student Steve Cash, two-time Paralympic gold medalist with the U.S. National Sled Hockey Team
- UMSL student veterans
- Associate Professor Zhi Xu, 2014 Inventor of the Year
- Global Game Jam participants
- Alumni Jason Bockman and Corey Smale, co-owners of Strange Donuts
- Students Audrey Engel, Andrew Neely and Teresa Frank, participants in the 2015 University of Missouri System Entrepreneurial Scholars and Interns Program (on two billboards)
- Alumnus Ben Poremba, owner of Elaia, Olio and Old Standard Fried Chicken
- Alumnus Steve Stenger, St. Louis County executive
- Student Devin Sasser, 2014 president of the American Optometric Student Association
- Student Joanne Lee, winner of the UMSL Concerto Competition
- Alumna Erin Baskett, CFO and CCO for Autonomous Research US in New York
- Alumnus Samuel Mugaya, founder of Care for Orphans & Community Development in Uganda
- Student Hannah Perryman, All-American softball player and GLVC Pitcher of the Year
The billboards will remain up in their current locations throughout March. They will spend April in new St. Louis locations.
Click here to view the new billboards and keep your eyes peeled for the real thing on interstate highways throughout St. Louis.
Short URL: https://blogs.umsl.edu/news/?p=55931