UMSL Business Blog

Strasbourg, France IMBA Program Fall 2016

By: Hayley Alexander

Studying abroad in Strasbourg, France was an opportunity I had always dreamed of and it surpassed my expectations. I spent five months in the capital of Europe that bordered two countries; Switzerland and Germany. With only a 30-minute train ride into another country, it was easy to travel throughout Europe. The university I studied at was EM Strasbourg School of Business. Each class challenged me on an international level and I was able to gain real insight into each culture. My favorite part about studying abroad was the people. Working in groups with students from all over the world allowed me to learn how each culture operates in the business world.

Since classes at the university were irregular, it allowed international students studying abroad to travel. After marking friends with students from Spain, Argentina, Hungary, China, Hong Kong, and more, we all visited Paris, Frankfurt, London, Budapest, and Basel. Each city was beautiful in its own way; the Eiffel tower in Paris, the Rhine River in Frankfurt, Buckingham Palace in London, the Hungarian Parliament in Budapest, and the beautiful mountains in Basel. Each place was unique in its own way. What I loved most about Europe was the architecture. Unlike the states that has become extremely modern, the Europeans have kept the older, rich architecture that dates back to hundreds of years ago.

Experiencing culture diversity is an essential part in International Business. However, I can’t write this blog without mentioning the amazing food. Although I could hardly pronounce anything on each Menu, my French friends made me try every “French Dish” available. I now miss my fresh baguettes and cappuccino’s every morning.

I am extremely thankful for this opportunity that has taught me so much about international business and myself. The UMSL IMBA program allows you to connect and network with peers from around the world. I am confident that this experience will help my future career. If you have the opportunity to travel abroad, DO IT! Don’t wait! It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity and will change your life forever.