Follow us on our Adventure!

Gandy attends GHC Poster Session

At last years’ Grace Hopper Conference, I happened upon the Computing Research Association for Women’s (CRA-W) table.  I met one of the officers who simply wrote the acronym on a sheet of post-it paper and implored myself and two of my hotel roommates to apply for the Grad Cohort Workshop.  Once I got home, I found the organization and promptly applied, not fully knowing what you expect.  I was accepted and attended the workshop in April (San Diego, CA).

Grace Hopper Celebration for Women in Computing 2016

It was a more intimate type of GHC, one where there was more one-to-one time and greater depth of subject-matter (How we as women in technology could better support and encourage one another).  I met my roommate Sruthi Chappidi (University of Texas Dallas, Master’s/Ph.D in Computing and Information Systems), Tayebeh Bahraini (Wayne State, Ph.D Computer Science), and several other phenomenal trailblazers at the conference.  We quickly grew into a clan of women who kept in touch over the next 6 months.  A couple of them are here at this years’ Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing.  Enjoy some of our memories from then and now.

Students Alexius Gandy and Sruthi Chappidi at CRA-W April, 2016

Tagged as: