Emerson awards associate professor of nursing, UMSL alumni for teaching
A dozen graduates of the University of Missouri–St. Louis received an Emerson Excellence in Teaching Award this past fall, including Wilma Calvert, associate professor of nursing at UMSL. Calvert earned her doctorate from UMSL in 2002.
“It was quite an honor to represent UMSL for teaching,” she said.
This spring, Calvert is teaching Family and Community Nursing, a passion of hers she wants to pass on.
“I want students to see that working alongside the community is research,” she said. “Research doesn’t always mean you are in a lab.”
In the past Calvert has organized community partnerships with programs like Fathers’ Support Center, St. Louis. She’s hoping to offer similar opportunities for nursing students looking to complete their clinical requirement through community outreach.
The 11 other UMSL alumni honored were:
- Barbara Dobbert, MEd 1999, Clayton High School
- Kathleen Saunders, MEd 2010, South Technical High School
- Rainah Pray, BSEd 2005 and Med 2007, Becky-David Elementary School
- Jessica Karll, BSEd 2007, Discovery Ridge Elementary School
- Rhonda Spotanski, BSEd 1998 and Med 2003, Hazelwood West Middle School
- Dana Aubuchon, BSEd 1995, St. Ann Catholic School
- Linda Nagle, MEd 1973, Lincoln Elementary School
- Wendy Pecka, PhD education 2011, East Central College
- Andrew Nieters, MEd 2011, Desmet Jesuit High School
- Christine Ries, BSEd 1999, Airport Elementary School
- Janet Landgraf, BSEd 1994, St. Mark’s Lutheran School
A total of 99 St. Louis-area educators received the teaching award Nov. 16 at the Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis in Clayton, Mo.
Now in its 25th year, the Emerson Excellence in Teaching Awards pay tribute to area educators – from kindergarten teachers to college professors – for their achievements and dedication to the field of education. Each honoree received a Tiffany & Co. crystal apple.
The Excellence in Teaching Awards program is sponsored annually by St. Louis-based Emerson, a diversified global manufacturer and technology leader.
Short URL: https://blogs.umsl.edu/news/?p=54015