Scholarship application deadline

First-time college students admitted to UMSL now have until Feb. 1 to submit applications for competitive scholarships to support their education beginning in the fall of 2021. (Photo by August Jennewein)

There is still time for high school seniors to earn scholarships that will support their educations for the fall 2021 semester.

The University of Missouri–St. Louis is extending its competitive scholarship deadline for high school students from Jan. 4 to Feb. 1. This is the latest step the university has taken to try to ease the burden on students during the COVID-19 pandemic.

In addition to automatic scholarships, there are more than 100 competitive scholarship opportunities open to students who have applied for and gained admission to UMSL. Most are valued at $1,000 or more. Last year, undergraduate students benefited from nearly $20 million in institutional aid on top of federal and state aid.

Admitted students can fill out one application to be considered for all those scholarships at

“We are committed to providing access to an affordable, high-quality education, and we know the impact scholarships can have in helping students reach their goals,” said Dixie Williams, UMSL’s interim associate vice chancellor for strategic enrollment and director of admissions. “We want to ensure high school seniors can take advantage of the opportunities available at UMSL as they make their college choice.”

The Pierre Laclede Honors College has also extended its deadline to apply for its Opportunity Scholars Program to Jan. 4.

The program covers the full cost of tuition, fees and books for up to four years, and the students chosen to be part of it live on campus in Oak Hall as part of a cohort in the Opportunity Scholars Program and receive unique opportunities for advising, mentoring and career experiences.

To be eligible, students must have applied for admission, been in the top 10 percent of their high school class and had a minimum ACT score of 26.

More information about the Opportunity Scholars Program can be found at

These deadlines are for first-time college students. Transfer students from other institutions have until April 1 to apply for competitive scholarships after they’ve been admitted to the university.

UMSL has waived all undergraduate admission application fees for spring, summer and fall applicants for 2021. The application fee waiver applies to all new undergraduate applications from both the United States and abroad.

The university also has adopted a test-optional admission policy for first-time college applicants for the fall 2021 term to support students who may not have access to standardized testing.

UMSL has continued offering a robust catalog of courses with high-quality instruction despite the pandemic. More than 60 percent of courses were fully online this semester with the remaining 40 percent beginning in a blended format and shifting to fully online for the final three weeks of the fall term.

UMSL has been first in Missouri in U.S. News & World Report’s Online Bachelor’s Program rankings the past three years, and Online Schools Report recently ranked it 14th nationally on its Most Affordable Online Colleges list. St. Louis Graduates also named it to it Degrees with Less Debt list, featuring the top five institutions in the state with strategies, practices and policies that support the enrollment and successful graduation of Black and Pell Grant-eligible students.

To submit an admission application, visit

Steve Walentik

Steve Walentik