By Sarah Thomas
It is no secret that influencer marketing is extremely successful! I mean with 1 billion monthly users on Instagram spending an average of 53 minutes a day on the platform, influencers have a huge reach! Influencer marketing has completely taken off leaving a lot of businesses’ in the dark on how to use it to their advantage and just not using it at all.
Digital Strategist and Influencer Consultant, Shane Barker shared his influencer marketing expertise with us at MDMC this year. Shane shared everything from his experience consulting influencers, to the best ways for businesses to utilize influencer marketing. Keep reading for answers to your influencer marketing questions!
Influencer Marketing Works
Influencer marketing works because influencers have gained the trust of their audience. When someone you know suggests something, you trust their opinion and recommendations. This is why when an influencer shares a product, their audience is quick to try it! Even I have been guilty of impulse buying the electric toothbrush that my favorite youtuber swears by – haha!
Finding The Right Influencers
Shane shared four tools that can help you find influencers that best suit your business and goals.
- Buzzsumo – Helps you find trending content ideas and relevant influencers
- GRIN – Find influencers, and run and track your campaigns
- GroupHigh – Find relevant bloggers and influencers, track and measure content reach
- Insightpool – Identify relevant influencers with helpful tools like discovery, activation, and insights
How To Pitch Influencers
Before you send a pitch, you should get to know the influencer you are interested in. Do this by taking the time to follow and engage with what they share on social media. Look for any common interests that you can mention when reaching out. A pitch should be personalized to each influencer you are reaching out to so that the influencer gets the sense you genuinely want to work with them. Influencers are receiving a lot of pitches so be sure to make yours unique!
Successful Influencer Marketing
In order for influencer marketing to be successful, Shane shared a few key components to control.
- Know your audience – this is the biggest thing to consider before choosing an influencer. Choose an influencer that has the same audience as your target audience.
- Know your goals – in order to keep things clear with the influencer you should set specific goals and communicate those to your influencers.
- Customize your approach – Your approach should be customized to each influencer you work with depending on their audience and personality
Now that you’re in the know on how businesses can utilize influencer marketing, take the leap and try it out! Be sure to check out Shane Barker, @shanebarker on Instagram and @shane_barker on Twitter.